Monday, May 20, 2013

Publishing Little Books

Materials:
8 1/2 x 11 copy paper (or any paper of your choice)
scissors
hole punch
brads
pen, pencil, markers, crayons, etc.

Okay, so this is a super simple activity.  Basic.  But it is definitely one of those things that my kids never get tired of doing, and it takes little to no preparation.

Publishing little books.  These stories are dictated to me and I write them down.  My daughter (who is 4) can come up with the stories almost on her own.  My son (who is 3) needs some guidance.  I help by asking questions and getting him to think about what might come next, but he does the writing.

These books can be as simple or elaborate as you'd like.  Anything from folding and stapling to sewing a binding and adding a hard cover would work.  One of my favorite methods is to cut computer paper in half lengthwise, and then fold in half again to create a little book.  I personally like the feel of a smaller book, but there's really no wrong way to make these.  I put a few pieces together, hole punch, and add brads to bind the book together.

Luv E Lamb Found Her Friends
By: Natalie Lashbrook

I like to add a copyright and date to each book we make.  I would get the kids to add a dedication page, but they don't understand.  When I ask Natalie if she'd like to write her book for anyone, she promptly responds with, "No.  I want to write it for me."  Okay, fair enough :)


The following is Natalie's story.  She dictated and I simply wrote down what she said, word for word.




Notice the exclamation point.  Be sure to yell that, per Natalie's instructions.  Apparently, I wasn't reading with enough enthusiasm.







Since Natalie goes to Awana every Wednesday evening, she's familiar with the Cubbie friends and Luv E Lamb.  It's okay for young, pre-writing kids to write about familiar characters.  In fact, it's a great starting point.  Writers write about what they know. 

Aaaand, who doesn't love a little reader's theatre?

Natalie:



Daniel, reading "Spiderman and the Spectacular Machine":


Now go make some little books -- and have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I truly love and appreciate reading your comments!